Thanksgiving Turkey Roulade - CROCKPOT by Heather N.
photo by Heather N.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 -4 lbs boneless turkey breast, skin removed, butterflied
- 1⁄2 cup wild long grain rice, prepared
- 1⁄2 cup Stove Top stuffing mix, prepared (chicken or turkey flavored)
- 1⁄4 cup butternut squash, diced and cooked until tender
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 12 ounces can unsweetened frozen apple juice concentrate or 12 ounces apple cider
- kitchen twine
- Prepare long grain rice and stuffing according to their instructions. Stir in the cranberries, thyme, and butternut squash, and set aside. Allow both to cool. You can make these a day ahead.
- Butterfly your boneless turkey breast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB7BYlTxUSQ.
- Unfold the turkey breast on a board, with the inside facing up, being sure to open all of the flaps. Spread the stuffing evenly over the turkey leaving 1" around bare. Next add the rice, the squash and then the cranberries. Starting at one end, roll the turkey as best you can (it won't be perfect, but that's okay), and tie with kitchen twine to hold the meat together. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining oil to the frying pan, and lightly sear the turkey on all sides. Transfer to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, along with the quartered onion and all of the apple juice concentrate or cider.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1-3/4 to 2 hours, or until a thermometer measures 165°F when inserted into the center of the turkey.
- Remove the turkey from the slow cooker, and cover with foil. You can strain the liquid and boil it down in a small sauce pan, to make a gravy. Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made ahead; let cool, and refrigerate.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Don't forget to KISS the cook!! :D I love to experiment with food. I love bold flavors. I love to cook and find it especially pleasing when I have someone special to cook for. ? 8726894"