Thai Tofu With Zucchini, Red Bell Pepper and Lime
A delightful vegetarian dish spiced up with red curry paste! Adaped from Bon Appetit!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained patted dry, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (mix with yellow squash if desired)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled, minced
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh basil, divided
- Heat 1 tbls. of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over mdium high heat.
- Add the tofu and saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Move the tofu to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tbls. oil, then add zucchini and red bell pepper to the skillet.
- Saute until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Return tofu to the skillet.
- Add ginger and stir about 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, 3 tbls. lime juice, soy sauce, and curry paste.
- Stir to dissolve curry paste, then simmer until the sauce thickens, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and more lime juice, if you like.
- Stir in half of the basil.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve. Enjoy!
- This is good served with steamed rice or noodles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Aside from using different veggies and some leafy greens, I made this as written and it was fabulous. Very simple curry to prepare, with a real high note from all that lime juice. I added a full tsp of curry paste, as others mentioned it was on the mild side, and that was perfectly spiced for me. I used a whole tin of coconut milk, which is more than what is called for, but I like having the extra gravy. Thanks Sharon!
This was very tasty. We used 1-1.5 tsp of red curry paste, and we used fish sauce instead of soy sauce. I also fried the tofu in a combo of peanut oil and hot pepper oil. These changes made the dish spicy, but not 'hot.' Good, and you could up the flavor level a bit by adding lime juice after plating.