Thai-Style Tomato and Shrimp Salad
photo by kiwidutch
- Ready In:
- 1 lb large shrimp, in shell peeled (21 to 25 per lb)
- 2 limes
- 3 small fresh lemongrass, stalks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 scallions, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 fresh green chilies, 3 inch, such as thai minced (including seeds) or 2 serrano peppers, minced (including seeds)
- 3 -4 teaspoons asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 3⁄4 lb cucumber, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh thai anise basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh thai lemon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook shrimp in a 4-quart saucepan of boiling salted water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes, then drain in a colander and cool.
- Cut peel and white pith from limes with a sharp knife and discard. Cut lime segments free from membranes, then finely chop enough segments to measure 1/4 cup.
- Mince enough lemongrass from bottom 6 inches of stalks to measure 2 tablespoons total.
- Stir together chopped lime, minced lemongrass, lime juice, bell pepper, scallions, chiles, fish sauce (to taste), sugar, and salt until sugar is dissolved. Toss shrimp, tomatoes, and cucumbers with dressing and top with herbs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!