Thai Noodle Soup
Created this recipe for RSC 18! This is an easy soup to make, and is economical as well. Lovely colors from the veggies also make this nice to look at! The first three steps can be done a day ahead, making this great for a week night meal.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (Better than Bouillon brand)
- 6 ounces egg noodles, very thin
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup snow peas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on your heat tolerance
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Put the drumsticks in the water and bring to a boil. Add the chicken base, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Remove the drumsticks from the stock, and set aside to cool.
- Remove the stock from the heat so that you can more easily remove the fat.
- Remove the meat from the drumsticks when they are cool enough to touch, and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Check the cooking time on your noodles. I used very thin ones that had a 4 minute cooking time. The veggies need to cook for 3 minutes, so add your noodles according to the cooking time on the package.
- Bring the stock back to a boil over medium heat. Add the noodles according to their cooking time; then add the chicken, carrots, snow peas, green onions, garlic, and gingerroot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and heat through.
- Serve with lime wedges.