Thai Coconut Pudding/ Custard
photo by CountryLady
- Ready In:
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence or 1/2 teaspoon rose essence
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated coconut (optional)
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- mint leaf, for garnish
- icing sugar, for garnish
- fresh fruit, cut into chunks or slices to serve
- butter, for greasing dish
- Grease one baking dish or 3 individual ramekins with butter.
- Preheat oven to 260°C.
- Beat eggs and sugar well till it thickens.
- Add essence and coconut milk.
- Beat again.
- Mix in grated coconut.
- I have to add here that I think you should use only fresh coconut for the best result.
- Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Place dish in a baking tray filled halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 35 mins or till the top is brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Chill and serve overturned in a plate or in the ramekins.
- Dusted with icing sugar.
- Served with any fruit (mango is wonderful) and garnish with the mint.
Ohhhhhh, Fay! This is delightful! I have to admit... I ate almost all of it myself. Yikes. But sooooo good! Creamy, decadent with wonderful coconut flavor. I must admit I did use dried coconut, but it rose to the top and turned out just great as a chewy golden macaroon-like (like FlemishMinx said) crust. I couldn't wait for this to cool before I tried it and I must say, its delcious warm, room temp or cold! I used the vanilla, but I hope to try this soon with the rose water! The brown sugar made it a not particularly attractive pale beige, but the taste more than made up for it. Divine creamy texture. I did find it a little sweet for my tastes, so next time I'll drop the sugar by a Tbs. I buttered my dish very well, but it still stuck a bit! This is soooooo YUMMY!
I'm really sorry to say that I didn't enjoy this at all. Maybe I didn't use the right technique, but mine had had a grainy texture and no coconut flavour (I didn't include the optional coconut, though). Also, what was I supposed to do with the 1/2 tbsp of flour? I left it out, which may have been my downfall!