Thai Broccoli Tofu Stir-fry
This recipe originates from the Chicago Diner, a vegetarian restaurant. The directions for this are pretty vague. I'll update it once I have made it. If you make it before me, please share your experience.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon molasses, plus
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup soya oil
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu or (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 -3 slice fresh ginger, julienned
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- chopped peanuts (to garnish)
- cooked basmati rice
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Cube tofu and add to marinade; allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients except for oil; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, saute the vegetables and ginger in oil.
- Gradually stir in the marinated tofu cubes.
- Top with the peanut sauce, and serve over basmati rice.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I did marinade the tofu and I think it really improves the dish. I used some prepackaged stir fry vegetables that included broccoli, carrots, snap peas and added my own red bell pepper,onion and garlic. I made an alteration to the peanut sauce. I've made several Asian dishes and knew the amount of apple cider vinegar was too much. I only used 1/4 cup. Next time I would also cup down the amount of peanut butter and water to 3/4 cup each. Even with the additional veggies, there was too much sauce.Reply
I was looking for a recipe nearly the same as this. I didn't have the time for marinade and, like another reviewer, wanted the tofu fried. Sprinkle a little cayenne on the drained tofu (it won't be too hot if you only dust it) then fry it with 1-2 T peanut oil and 1/2 the garlic and ginger. Keep it moving and with enough oil or it will stick. Remove from the pan, add more oil if necessary and saute the vegetables. Mix the tofu back in, top with the sauce and serve. Very good and quicker than marinading for 30 minutes.2Reply
see 3 more