Tfaya (Morrocan Couscous Sauce)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A Moroccan condiment serve over couscous. Tip: Soak the raisins while slicing the onions. I had success freezing leftovers.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in water for 15 minutes then drained
- 4 tablespoons sugar (I used slightly more) or 4 tablespoons honey (I used slightly more)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a large saucepan, mix the 2 pounds sliced onions, prepared raisins, 4 tablespoons sugar or honey, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads.
- Add the 4 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup water, cover, and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering for 30 minutes or longer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and golden. Add more water only if the liquids evaporate before the onions are cooked.
- Once the onions are cooked and richly colored, reduce the liquids to a thick syrup. Remove from heat.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Reheat prior to serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION