Texas Queso W/ Taco Meat, Guac & Sour Cream
photo by Mcosta
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 lb American cheese, shredded (or Velveeta, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 (16 ounce) can rotel
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup guacamole (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (to garnish)
- 1 lb tortilla chips, for serving
- To make the taco meat…In a saucepan, heat the oil on medium-low, add bell pepper, onion, and jalepeno. Cook until onion is translucent (~ 5 min.). Add minced garlic. Add ground beef. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir and cook until meat is cooked through (~15 min). Drain fat and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To make the queso…In a saucepan on medium-low, mix together the Rotel, chicken broth and corn starch, mix well and cook until the sauce has thickened (~2 min). Thrn the heat down to low. Working in batches, stir in a handful of cheese. Once melted, add another handful and repeat until all melted. Add salt to taste.
- To serve…Spoon the meat into a 9 inch square dish. Top with cheese mixture. Garnish with guacamole and sour cream. Serve with Tortilla Chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!