Tex-Mex Spicy Meatballs
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup packaged plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz brand
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; line baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk.
- Let stand until bread crumbs absorb the milk.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumb mixture, eggs, dried minced onion, cumin, oregano, garlic salt and cayenne pepper.
- Mix with clean hands until combined.
- Form into 30 meatballs, each about 1 inch in diameter; place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs at 350 degree for 20 minutes.
- In large skillet, mix together broth and chili sauce.
- Add meatballs and simmer, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove cover; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Makes 30 meatballs.
- Make Ahead: Can be made ahead, cooked, covered and refrigerated for 1-2 days; reheat before serving.
- To transport, place in an insulated container.
- Serve within 2 hours (within 1 hour if outside temperature is above 90 degrees).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made for ZWT-8, your meatballs were in good company w/Recipe #161522 by Charmie777. Altho just 2 of us, I made a full recipe & didn't mind a bit that there were leftovers for the freezer. That's where a lot of food is going as ZWT progresses. These meatballs are tasty, ingredient-friendly & an easy-fix. I esp like that they're baked vs fried. DH has already spoken for those frozen leftovers to accompany him on his next fishing trip. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
These have really good taste although not quite hot enough for my family. I almost doubled this recipe to bring to a family Christmas and so I was a little leery about adding too much cayenne. Also, I was hoping for a thicker sauce. It stayed quite juicy. I put these in the crock-pot after baking, so I'm not sure if that's why? But, I came home w/very little, so everyone must have enjoyed the taste as well. I might add I also put in one pkg. of the little weiners as well.<br/>Made for Appetizers and Side Dish Game in KK's forum~