Tennessee’s Best Butt
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Allgood
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon summer savory
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (6 lb) pork butt, trimmed
- 1 golden delicious apple, cored and cut in half (or Granny Smith apple)
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup apple brandy
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, onion, garlic, paprika, lemon pepper, chili powder, savory, salt, red pepper flakes, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Blend well and rub all over the pork.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the smoker.
- Place the pork on a smoker rack over the filled water pan.
- Place the apple halves in the water pan.
- Cover and smoke 6-8 hours, turning every hour.
- After 2 hours, begin basting every hour with the mixture of cider and brandy.
- When done, the meat should register 160 degrees in the center.
- Let the meat stand, covered, at least 20 minutes before trimming away the bone and excess fat.
- Coarsely chop and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION