Tennessee Lasagna by Dinah Shore
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash oregano
- 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Prepare macaroni as directed on package.
- Brown onion and garlic in oil; add celery and green pepper. Cook until softened. Remove from pan.
- Add ground beef to pan and brown well. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, pinch oregano, mushrooms, and then onion mixture. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer low for 1 hour, or until sauce blends.
- In a large casserole dish, assemble by putting a layer of cooked macaroni; dot with butter, add 1/2 of cheese cubes, and then layer of sauce. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Then add another layer of macaroni, butter and cheese cubes.
- Finish with a layer of sauce;top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted inside and dish is thoroughly heated.
- This can be prepared ahead.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have always loved to cook. This got me into trouble with my wieght, because I loved to eat what I cooked. I am now a weight watcher, I have to lighten most recipes. My favorite cookbooks are Taste of Home & Taste of Home Light. MY pet peeve is boxed dinners. I do love simple and quick though. I have 3 grown sons, one is in last semester of college, one is married and a new baby is on the way, so I will be grandma in January. My daughter-in-law hates to cook, they order prepared food off the internet, that makes me crazy. ha. I love animals, but right now only have one dog. A bloodhound. She is so loveable, I would recommend this breed to anyone as long as you have patience, but they are one of the most loving breeds out there.My married son has 3 lab. retrievers,a baby will be easy after those 3 monsters, as I lovingly called them when they were pups. My oldest son has a Rottwieller. I have had 3 Rotts, they have all pasted, buy they are a really great breed. They are so smart and loveable, I guess that's why people who chose to make them bad, can do so, all they want to do is please their owners. My real passion is shoes, shoes, shoes. I also love jewelry, but shoes, shoes, shoes,!!!!! Update I am finally grandma to the prettiest baby girl ever. She was born on Jan. 15, her name is Mariah. She is perfect!