Teeta's Eggplant (Aubergine) Dirty Rice
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 4 medium green peppers (chopped)
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups rice (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped)
- Peel and cube eggplant, boil 10 minutes and drain.
- Melt butter in heavy large dutch oven.
- Saute onion, garlic, celery, peppers until soft, add ground meat and cook until meat is done.
- Add eggplant to meat mixture and mash.
- Cook meat/eggplant mixture an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and peppers (adjust for taste) Then fold in rice and green onions in meat mixture.
- Turn off heat and let steam for 30 minutes.
- Fold in parsley just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good, but I had to add a LOT more of the spices to keep it from tasting a bit bland. This dirty rice came out very moist, and with the addition of a couple or 3 tablespoons of Emeril's Essence it was quite tasty - expecially the second day. I would recommend making this a day ahead of time to let the flavors blend together. Also a warning. If you make the full recipe, you will a large pot or pan. I started this in a very large chicken fryer (15" maybe) and after cooking the vegetables and meat I transferred to a 10 quart pot. It probably made about a gallon and a half (although I did use a little more of several ingredients - so mine was extra large) BTW This should freeze quite well.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married and the mother of 2 great girls. I work full time and have a great passion for food, cooking and entertaining. We enjoy having people over hanging out by the pool and at the lake.