Tea Marbled Eggs
From Cooking Cute
- Ready In:
- 6 eggs (best if they can fit in one layer in the pot)
- 2 tablespoons black tea (any kind, or 5 regular sized tea bags)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1.Cover eggs in saucepan with cold water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Hard boil the eggs (usually 10-12 minutes cooking time).
- 2.Drain eggs and allow them to cool enough that you can handle them.
- 3.Using the back of a heavy spook, crack the eggs all over, but do not remove the shells (or you can roll them a la Pacino in Angel Heart). Try not to crack through the membrane under the shell.
- 4.Place the cracked eggs back in the saucepan. Add in the tea, cinnamon, star anise, tamari, salt, sugar, and enough water to cover the eggs.
- 5.Simmer for at least an hour and up to 2-1/2 hours or longer.
- 6.Drain and allow to cool to room temperature.
- You can refrigerate these little guys in their shells. Just peel them whenever you're ready to eat them. Great for a snack or a party platter (halved with yolk-side down to show off the pretty marbling).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION