Tea House Chai Concentrate
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot
- 6 cardamom pods
- 10 inches cinnamon sticks
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 8 cups water
- 8 teaspoons tea (Darjeeling, or herbal, Rooibis, or your choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons honey
- hot milk
- ground cinnamon (to garnish)
- chocolate milk
- 1 teaspoon dried chamomile
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried peppermint
- Crush together the black pepper, ginger root, cardamom, cinnamon stick, and cloves in a coffee grinder or food processor(just pulse, do not grind to a powder).
- Add to 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 8 teaspoons of tea. Allen uses Darjeeling OP. Steep for 8-10 minutes. Stain out the spices and tea. Add 1 teaspoons of vanilla and 3 teaspoons of honey, or sweeten to taste. Enjoy!
- This can be refrigerated for weeks.
- Heat up as needed and add an equal amount of hot(Allen steams his) milk. Top with ground cinnamon.
- For a mocha chai, use chocolate milk instead of white.
- For herbal chai, replace the Darjeeling with 1 teaspoons each of chamomile, fennel seed and peppermint.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the BEST homemade chai I've had yet! I used cinnamon bark so didn't grind it but grinded the other ingredients together. I used red rooibos tea so boiled it instead of just steeped as you get more out of it that way. I used agave nectar, honey and splenda to make it nice and sweet and then enjoyed it cold mixed with milk, cream and ice. Made in honor of Sharon's Husband via kittencalskitchen.com