" Tastes Like Mounds Bar " Kahlua Cake
photo by Wayne M.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 (16 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup Kahlua
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate, chopped into bits
- 4 ounces whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 0.5 (8 1/2 ounce) can Coco Lopez (cream of coconut)
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat over to 350°F
- Put all ingredients for the cake in a bowl. Mix on low for 1 minute to combine. Scrape bowl.
- Mix on medium high for a full 3 minutes to make it light and fluffy.
- Spray an Angel tube pan or bundt pan with baker's spray. Pour batter in pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until done.
- Let cool in pan and then turn out onto you serving platter. While cake is cooling, make topping and frosting.
- Put chopped chocolate in heatproof bowl.
- Heat cream in a saucepan on medium high until it starts to boil.
- As soon as it starts to bubble, pull it off the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Stir immediately with a whisk to incorporate the cream into the chocolate.
- Stir until completely melted. Let it cool.
- When it gets to spreading consistency you want to coat your cake. (This will take a while, depending on the humidity).
- For the topping, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt to a heavy saucepan. Add the coconut milk and cream of coconut. Heat on medium heat and stir until smooth and starts to boil. Stir until it thickens, about 5 - 7 minutes. Keep stirring so that it does not stick to pan.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour the mixture into a larger bowl and add shredded coconut. Stir to combine. Let this cool completely. (It will start to look like the inside of a mounds bars).
- Take about a half cup of the topping and stuff it into the middle of the cake (the hole). Fill it to the rim and flatten off with a table knife.
- Then frost cake, the frosting will be smooth and runny so the technique here is to place a dollop of frosting on the top of cake, coax it over to the side with knife so it starts to run down the side. Spread smoothly along the side of cake.
- Take cake and put it in the refrigerator until the frosting firms up just like the candy bar. This will take about 30 minutes or so.
- After that, take cake out of refrigerator and you are going to mound the remaining half of your coconut topping on the top of the cake. Place back in the refrigerator for about 30 to an hour.
- I know that this sounds like a lot of work, but this cake is truly decadent!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW! This cake deserves a Gezillion Stars! It is one of the BEST Cakes I have eaten in a long time. People where practically licking the plate.The coffe liqueur in the batter is a wonderful addition.<br/>I baked the cake in 2- 8-inch layer cake pans for 35 minutes. I split them and used that awesome fillling inbetween the layers. Frosted top and sides with the Ganache and decorated top and sides with some coconut. Refrigerated for 2 days before I needed to serve it. This will now be our Special Occasion Cake! Thanks for sharing!