Tangy Cucumber Salad
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 10mins
- Mix first 4 ingredients in water until sugar dissolves.
- Peel and slice cucumbers into almost paper thin slices.
- In a stainless steel or ceramic bowl, salt cucumber slices well and let stand for 30 minutes. This will allow the cucumbers to release some of their liquid and results in less bitter cucumbers. Rinse and drain well.
- Put cucumber slices into glass bowl or jar.
- Pour sugar/vinegar mixture over cucumber slices.
- Let cucumbers marinate in jar for at least 24 hours.
- Can add more sugar to your tastes.
- This is really good with onion slices added too.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Reviewed for PAC (Fall 2007) -- To me this is THE classic summer cucumber salad. My mother used to make this (with plain ol' white distilled vinegar, instead of cider vinegar) and I loved it. I'd stopped making this way years ago, and had dressed mine up (by adding sweet onions and/or mint and or a number of other add-ins). It was nice to go back to basics and just enjoy the sweet/sour impact of this salad. I did cut back on the sugar; 1/2 cup is too much for me, so I used between 1/4 and 1/3 of a cup. Thanks for posting this!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Have been living in Texas after living in the Midwest my entire life. Love to knit, bake, cook, surf the Internet, play with my 2 girls, and bowl. 'Zaar is my internet addiction - one of the few websites I check daily. I love trying new dishes, fortunately my girls and my husband will try just about anything. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></p>