Tandoori Chicken (Made Easy)
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs skinless chicken (legs and thighs)
- 3⁄4 cup tandoori paste (Deep brand)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sliced white onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- SLICE skinless chicken crosswise against the bone with 2-3 deep cuts through to the bone, (on each side of chicken legs).
- PLACE chicken pieces into a large Ziploc freezer bag for marinating.
- POUR the MARINADE mixture over chicken; REMOVE excess air from the Ziploc bag; SEAL the Ziploc bag; SQUEEZE the bag to roll and coat chicken thoroughly in marinade; PLACE bag into refrigerator to marinate 3-5 hours to overnight if desired for fuller flavor and more tender chicken (recommended but not absolutely necessary).
- PLACE one oven rack in the second-lowest position, and another rack in the highest position; PREHEAT oven to BAKE at 500°F (make sure oven is clean!); LINE a broiler pan with foil; SPRAY the foil liner with non-stick baking spray.
- REMOVE chicken from marination bag; SHAKE away excess marinade from chicken; COAT chicken on all sides with vegetable oil or light olive oil; ARRANGE chicken (bone-side up for thighs) in broiler pan without the grill cover; TURN on the overhead oven fan.
- BAKE chicken 20 minutes on the LOWER oven rack; TURN chicken pieces over tongs; CONTINUE baking chicken on lower rack for 7 minutes.
- SLIDE pan carefully from oven wearing oven mitts; BASTE chicken with oil; PLACE pan onto the top broiler rack; SET the BROILER to HIGH setting; BROIL chicken just until edges begin to slightly char, about 2 minutes.
- REMOVE chicken from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving; SEPARATE sliced onion into rings for garnishes.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Garnish with sliced white onion, chopped fresh cilantro and serve with fresh lime wedges, fragrant basmati rice, nan bread with mint yogurt sauce (raita), cucumber salad, hot or iced tea or chilled lassi (TO MAKE FRAGRANT EAST INDIAN BASMATI RICE, see Recipe #408115).
- SERVE chicken with desired garnishes and side dishes and ENJOY!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mathematician... Metaphysician... Magician in a test kitchen