Tamarind Sweet Potatoes (Crock Pot)
Posted per request for crock pot recipes using root vegetables - these sweet potatoes are a bit different from the ordinary with a slight sweet/sour flavor with an Asian influence--delicious with chicken. Recipe source: Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced (2-inch x 1-inch)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves discarded, stalk cut in half lengthwise (available in Asian groceries)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tamarind paste (available in Asian grocery stores)
- 1⁄4 cup plum wine vinegar (available in Asian grocery stores)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 lemon, zest only, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups orange juice
- Place all ingredients in a crock pot insert. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Discard lemongrass.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer potatoes to a warm serving bowl or platter and keep warm.
- Pour the cooking liquid int a sauce pan and reduce by half over high heat (it will be syrupy).
- Pour the syrup over the potatoes and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was a lovely sweet potato treat. I loved the ease of making this in the crockpot. I cut my potato chunks a little bigger so the 5 hour cooking time was perfect. A nice sweet and sour flavor that is reminiscent of the Orient. I enjoyed the citrus flavor that the tamarind and the lemon grass created. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for Diabetic Tailgate Party.