Tahitian Shrimp in Coconut-Vanilla Sauce
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tahitian vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium-high flame. Add the shrimp and saute until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove the shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Slit the vanilla bean down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Add the rum, vanilla bean pod and seeds to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook until the rum is largely evaporated.
- Pour in the coconut milk and cream. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer slowly until the sauce is thickened and its volume is reduced by about half.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod and return the shrimp to the pan. Simmer to heat through and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice with a side of sauteed spinach or chard.
- Saute a minced onion after you saute the shrimp and simmer in the sauce.
- Use evaporated milk instead of cream.
- Don't throw away the vanilla bean pod. Rinse it off and set it out to dry. When it's dry, bury it in a jar of sugar and store in the cupboard for delicious homemade vanilla sugar. Use the sugar in baking or for coffee.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is simple and tasty and perfect for a busy mid-week meal, when you want elegant but FAST. This requires very little prep and is ready quickly. We served over basmati rice with a side of sauteed spinach as suggested. I had some cremini mushrooms to use so we sauteed them with the spinach. While I did find this tasty, it was just a little bit too sweet for my tastes as the taste of the vanilla bean really comes through. However, I am very sensitive to sweet so most people probably would not have a problem. An enjoyable meal. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT7.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!