Tacos árabes (Arabian Tacos)
As Lebanese immigrants settled in Puebla in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, they influenced the region's cuisine. Tacos árabes feature a shawarma-style meat wrapped in a thick, pita-like flour tortilla, mexicanized with a salsa of ground chipotle.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs meat (pork or beef shoulder or leg)
- 5 limes, juiced
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 sprig mint (optional)
- 1 sprig thyme
- Mexican oregano (to taste)
- ground cumin (to taste)
- garlic (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- splash vegetable oil
- Mix well all the ingredients except the meat.
- Marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
- Drain the marinade.
- Roast on a rotisserie, basting as needed, to an internal temperature of 140F (about three hours). Remove from spit and let meat rest to finish cooking, then slice thinly.
- Serve wrapped in thick flour tortillas or pita bread, covered in chipotle sauce.