Sylet Red Chicken Curry
A different style of curry from the norm. I recommend this as a good curry for those who like a full on flavoured dish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch square fresh ginger
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Puree the garlic, ginger, tomatoes, cumin, with the tomato puree in a blender.
- In a large pan heat the oil and fry the onions till soft. Add the chili powder and 1/4 cup of water, stir and bring to the boil.
- Add the coriander and turmeric cook for 1 min, add the garam masala, cook 1 minute Add a little water if the paste becomes too thick.
- Add the chicken and a little salt, fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and the stock cube, cook till meat falls from the bones.
- Add the vinegar, stir and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Well Brian this could be a masterpiece! I just cocked up a critical stage and achieving my potential as a good chef took a knockback. In the end it was great but unlike other dishes I think the timing of Garam Masala is essential. I forgot to add at frying stage, which normally does not matter. I also used old powder. This too is critical in this dish. Finally, I used fillet, and I know the stock flavour was missing. I compensated with extra salt, and added chopped coriander at end. Next time I will be aware of this!! But truly could be a great one! Thanks again!Reply
Full flavor is an understatement. This is a fireworks display on the moon flavor experience. I loved the recipe from just reading it, and seeing that it calls for MUCH more spice than most recipes do. I don't really ever modify BrianH recipes. The only change- I used boneless/skinless thighs- I wouldn't even bother with dry chicken breast in this recipe. I also lessened the amount of oil. I forgot to add cumin SEEDS and so added ground cumin after I'd made the puree. Open the windows though- because you sure can smell this one. :) So delicious- thanks for sharing.Reply