Swiss Zug Cherry Torte (Zuger Kirschtorte)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (125g)
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, ground (100g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar (75g)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (50g)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch (50g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 lemon, the zest of
- 2⁄3 cup butter (150g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (150g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons kirsch
- 4 tablespoons kirsch
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped (125g)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (100g)
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in half (1/4 cup) powdered sugar.
- Combine the remaining sugar, nuts and cornstarch, then fold this into the stiff egg whites.
- Bake two layers from the mixture, using a spring form. at 350F for 10-15 minutes. (I trace 2 circles on parchment using the 9 or 8” spring form Place the parchment on a baking sheet Then I divide the batter between the 2 circles and lightly smooth to the lines of the circle then bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes. This is like a large macaroon and should be dry when done.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks with 3 Tbsp warm water until creamy then add ¼ cup of powered sugar.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites with the remaining ¼ cup sugar until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolks and add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and lemon zest to make a batter.
- Using the same sized spring form as for the nut layer, grease or line with parchment then add batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
- Beat the butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar and egg yolk and lastly the Kirsch.
- Divide into 3 portions.
- Let all the layers cool.
- Spread 1/3 of the butter cream on the nut layer.
- Stack a biscuit layer on top.
- Sprinkle the biscuit layer with Kirsch then spread on the next 1/3 butter cream .
- Lay the second nut layer on top.
- Spread the remaining butter cream on top and on sides.
- Dust the top with the powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle the sides with nuts.
- Using a knife mark the top, powdered sugar in diamond.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Canada our winters are far to long and cold. I like to try new recipes. I don't really have a favorite cookbook. I enjoy reading fiction, my friends,good conversation,gardening,and the great outdoors. Love to travel, by plane, boat or automobile. My pet peeves are inconsiderate drivers who stop on a main road holding up traffic. <br />I'd really enjoy spending some time camping IN THE SUMMER by a beach or go the caribbean in the winter-- to the beach at one of the all inclusive clubs they always have a lot of different foods to try.. <br /><br /><a href=http://www.amazingcounter.com><img src=http://c9.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1862985&c=5589268 border=0 alt=HTML Counter /></a><a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com>Dell</a> <a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/dell-server.htm>Server Computers</a></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p><br />Participation & Awards:</p> <p><a href=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif></a></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg border=0 alt=Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> /></p>