Sweet & Spicy Party Meatballs
photo by Kams7018
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces chili sauce
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup canola oil or 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 (10 ounce) jar grape jelly
- Mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Gently shape into 1-inch balls.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the meatballs. Or simply bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet until browned. Remove the meatballs, set aside and pour off the fat from the skillet. Pour the chili sauce and the grape jelly into the skillet and heat, stirring constantly. To kick it up replace with Kam’s Hot Chili Sauce to taste. Return the meatballs to the skillet and simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes. To keep warm place into a chafing or warming dish, or deposit the whole skillet into a crockpot and keep covered on low, checking occasionally to make sure that meatballs are not crumbling.
- Cook's Notes: Use Welch's grape jelly or Cranberry Sauce. This recipe works great with pre-cooked, frozen meatballs. Just eliminate all of the meatball ingredients in the recipe, warm the sauce as above, then stir in the frozen meatballs with the heated sauce. Simmer on low to warm the meatballs through well, about 20 minutes, gently stirring them several times, then transfer them to a crockpot to keep warm if you like.
- Frozen Meatballs in the Crockpot: Heat the sauce on the stovetop. Place frozen meatballs into the crockpot and follow the suggestion on the bag of your brand of meatballs for heating. Generally speaking you will need to allow about 3 hours for the meatballs to be ready to serve; about 2 hours on high, then another hour on low. Fresh cooked meatballs will only need to be held in the crockpot on low.
- Cocktail Sausages: Substitute a pound of cocktail sausages for the meatballs, eliminate all other ingredients except for the chili sauce and grape jelly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Art Director for Kam's Kettle Cooked Chili sauce