Sweet Soy Pork W Star Anise Korean-Style
photo by mykoreaneats
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, sliced into chunks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 star anise, grounded
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, cut up into large chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch length
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, halved
- 1 lemongrass, stalk
- 10 pine nuts (for garnishing)
- sliced green onion (for garnish)
- 1 liter Pepsi (for marination)
- In a large pot over high heat, place the pork chunks with a few bay leaves. Let boil for about 10 minutes and drain under running cold water.
- With a skewer, poke the chunks of meat to tenderize the inside of the meat before marinating.
- Combine the pork with the l liter of Pepsi in a large bowl. Cover and let marinate for at least an hour (the longer the better).
- Rinse the pork and place in a large pot. Add the water with sauce ingredients and lemongrass. Cook on medium heat for about 20~25 minutes while occasionally coating the meat with sauce.
- Add in potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots, cooking for another 15 minutes on low heat. Discard lemongrass stalks.
- Near the end when most of the broth should have thickened or evaporated, add some sesame oil.
- Serve on a platter as main course. If you have extra sauce leftover (that hasn't evaporated) I recommend mixing and eating with rice.
- Garnish with pine nuts or green onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<div class=description>korean-american foodie who loves cooking up classical korean food and reinventing them with a personal twist. the full story at www.mykoreaneats.com</div>