Sweet & Sour Carrot Compote With Cumin
Adapted from Quebec chef, Anne Desjardins, this condiment is lovely with a cheese and/or charcuterie plate, or with roast pork, poultry or ham.
- Ready In:
- 3 large carrots
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey (Desjardins recommends Laurentian, Vegans use agave)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Chop onion into small dice.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and toast cumin seeds for about a minute.
- Add honey, vinegar and turmeric and stir till combined.
- Add carrots and onions (and raisins if you like them) and cook over low heat till onions are soft and translucent.
- Store in refrigerator.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Both my husband and I really enjoyed this. I think it's great as a relish to meats and cheeses or on its own. We particularly enjoyed it in pita bread with lamb patties, yogurt, lemon juice and onions. You could use it as part of a salad or it would be quite good as a variation on a Ploughman's sandwich, instead of the chutney. A nice way to use up the glut of carrots I have at the moment.Reply
see 6 more