Sweet Red Pepper Gyro Sauce
Traditionally, Greek gyros are served with a mild white yogurt dill cucumber sauce called TZATZIKI. This is an alternate, a sort of sweet red pepper curry-like sauce. It is sometimes served with kabobs, on pita bread, or even over rice.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 sweet red peppers or 3 green bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 medium cubanelle pepper, sliced thin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup hot water
- In a bowl, combine tomato puree, sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat; saute onions until their edges start to brown.
- Add sliced peppers, season with salt and pepper to taste, and saute over medium low for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Stir in the tomato puree mixture.
- Add 1 cup hot water and simmer until sauce thickens, about 45 to 60 minutes.