Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin With a Kick!
photo by Nimz_
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan combine heavy cream and chipotle chile peppers. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and strain.
- Stem and seed the chiles. In a blender puree the heavy cream with the chiles until smooth.
- In a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spread out one-third of the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the potatoes and season with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour about 1 cup of the heavy cream over the potatoes and cheese.
- Repeat procedure two more times ending with cheese on top, only using enough cream to just cover the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was simply wonderful! I used a mandolin to cut the potatoes, so they were almost paper-thin, and the cream steeped with chipotle made huge splash of flavor. I just grated the nutmeg and cheese on instead of measuring, but I loved the flavors they brought to the dish. If my guests weren't so spice-scared, I'd serve this for Thanksgiving. Way better than the sickly sweet marshmallow coated stuff, but with the natural sweetness of the potato coming through to satisfy the sweet tooth.
This is a terrific way to serve sweet potatoes. Even people who think they hate sweet potatoes love these. I've been serving them on Thanksgiving for years, now, and if I want to try something new the family votes me down. I have found over the years that 2 dried chipotles is only slightly spicy so I've upped the number to 3 or 4. What I'm trying to find out is what would happen if I substitute canned chipotles?
I know, I know, for those who like hot & kickin' I messed up when, instead of the chipotle I used jalapeno, but I just couldn't get myself to go that high up my posted 'HOT' scale ~ My limit is actually a little lower than even the jalapeno! Anyway, that said, I'm always looking for new ways to do sweet potato dishes, & this was certainly different! I enjoyed the taste, as did my other half, & I'll definitely be making this recipe again ~ IT'S A KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]