Sweet Potato Salad (Slada Batata Hilwa) -Moroccan
A delicious blend of sweet with aromatic spices, olives, lemon and parsley. this is a recipe from the book: http://www.amazon.com/Arabesque-Taste-Morocco-Turkey-Lebanon/dp/030726498X (Posted for North Africa Middle East Tag)
- Ready In:
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet potato, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 -8 green olives
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rind of, chopped (optional)
- half a lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Saute onions in 2 tbsp of oil until golden.
- Add the cubed sweet potato to the pan and just barely cover it with a little water.
- Add ginger, cumin, paprika, salt to taste and 2 more tbsp of oil.
- Cook until potato pieces are tender and the liquid has reduced to a sauce, turning the potatoes over once. Be careful when handling them so that they don't fall apart.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix in olives, and preserved lemon peel. Taste and adjust salt if you need more.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, remaining one tbsp of olive oil and parsley. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was very nice, I think you must add the preserved lemon rind it adds a nice saltiness that just finishes this of nicely with the parsley. You can taste the other flavours as well as the lemon rind, but I do feel it is a very necessary part of the dish, or maybe I just like them. I would make this again when we have a Greek supper, as it's a nice side dish to have with chicken. Thank you for posting. Made for ZWT#6 2010.