Sweet Potato & Pear Soup
photo by NurseJaney
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or homemade)
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (or to taste)
- salt and pepper, freshly ground
- In a pot, heat butter on medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, pears and thyme and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add paprika and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
- Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to pot. Add cream, maple syrup and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- If soup is too thick add a little extra broth. Season with salt and pepper, adding more syrup or lime juice as needed.
- Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had this recipe before and lost it so happy to find it here. I have made it tons of times. I always saute the onion, celery and carrot for at least 20 min on a low heat to build the flavors then follow as directed. If I don't have pears I use apples. The other thing I do is strain it at the end. Makes a really velvety consistency. There is only a couple of tbsp of stuff to strain out but it saves you from getting a string of celery and again it makes a wonderful consistency. I don't use the maple syrup the sweet potatoes make it sweet enough. Love this soup.
A perfect 10 is what I'd give this soup! I found the recipe in a thread discussing an over-abundance of pears and what to do with them; so glad that I clicked SAVE and had the chance to make it on this soggy/chilly day. Followed the directions exactly; tasted it and added a pinch of cayenne pepper to it to give it the tiniest bit of heat. Served with grilled ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches with cranberry mustard and a bitter green salad. We all begged for more! I'll be making this at least once a month, it's THAT good!
INCREDIBLE!!!! wow.. the whole family loved it.. i made it for thanksgiving this past wknd (i'm from canada) and everyone went crazy over it! my nona was practically licking her bowl! I added some garlic and cinnamon, other then that i follwed the recipe exactly.. just doubled it as i had to serve it to 10 ppl. thanks for the amazing recipe!
see 7 more reviews