Sweet Potato Latkes (Pareve)
A different alternative to traditional Hanukkah latkes. Or, perhaps serve both with your Hanukkah meal.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 lbs yams
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal or 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes and remove any excess moisture.
- Beat eggs and add one at a time, mixing well. See Note at end of instructions.
- Add matzoth meal or flour and baking powder.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Heat oil until hot and put large spoonful for each pancake.
- Cook until brown and flip.
- NOTE: For fluffier pancakes, separate eggs.
- Add egg yolks into the potatoes.
- Then, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold in egg whites after all other ingredients have been mixed inches.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is more "interesting" than plain potato latkes, though I must confess that by the time I got around to making them, I had run out of patience to use the the stovetop... I baked them on a sprayed cookie sheet. I don't know if that's why the shredded sweet potatoes were so crisp, almost to the point of being raw... the taste was great, though. Thanks for posting.1Reply