Sweet Potato Hash Browns Homemade
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter and 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Saute the diced onion for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Add in the brown sugar; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl, mix together the onion mixture, shredded potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- *Dothis in batches--drop the potato mixture into 3 1/2 inch rounds; cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden (add more oil as necessary).
- Press down with a spatula to flatten.
- Serve hot, topped with crumbled bacon and pecans.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my gosh. I became a member on food.com just to review this recipe. I didn't follow the recipe exactly but I did follow the ingredients exactly and it was fantastic. I love this stuff. I'm going to make this again next week. The combination of the sweet potato and regular potato plus the delicious brown sugar and then the bacon. It was fantastic!!!!