Sweet Potato, Date and Nut Squares
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, canned, drained, well-mashed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb dried dates, pitted, cut into quarters (I use Medjool dates.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & spray a 9"x13" baking pan with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl & set aside.
- In another bowl & using an electric mixer, cream together the butter & sugar before adding the eggs & vanilla, mixing to combine.
- Add this egg mixture & the 1/4 cup of milk to the mashed sweet potatoes & beat well to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves, nutmeg & cinnamon.
- Place the dates & nuts in another bowl, tossing them with 1/4 cup of the flour mixture.
- Add the remaining flour mixture to the sweet potato mixture & blend, then fold in the dates & nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish & bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting into 24 small squares.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!