Sweet Potato Chili
Sweet potatoes are an unusual yet delicious addition to this chili and as a bonus you get more orange veggies into your diet! The small amount of sausage also keeps the fat content low without a sacrifice in flavour. Sizes and amounts are flexible.
- Ready In:
- 1 -2 Italian sausage
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne (to taste) (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, juice included
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (approx. 1/2" cubes)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- chopped cilantro or parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Remove sausage casings and crumble sausage meat.
- In a large pot, brown sausage meat over medium heat until no pink remains.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne (if using) to sausage.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, beans and sweet potatoes to meat mixture.
- Increase heat to medium high, bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 min.
- or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add sugar and/or salt to adjust taste.
- Serve garnished with cilantro or parsley.