Sweet Potato Casserole - Southern Style
photo by Seasoned Cook
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- Boil or microwave potatoes until tender. Wait for them to cool enough so, that you can peel them. The peeling should slide right off.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the base.
- Add them to the mashed potatoes and stir well.
- After mixed, place in a casserole dish. I usually use an 8 x 14 rectangle. Depending on how little or how much you are making.
- Combine ingredients for topping. Except marshmallows, if using them. The mixture should be kind of crumbly.
- Spread evenly on top.
- Place in oven and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When done spread marshmallows on top and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WONDERFUL flavor! I cut the recipe in half since there are only two of us. I used brown sugar instead of white. This is the way we always have our sweet potato casserole in the South! Very, Very tasty and good for a potluck dinner. Prepared as a participant in the Southern, Cajun, Creole Tag September 2009 Event in the Cooking Photo Forum.