Sweet Potato Casserole
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or 4 medium yams, about 2 lbs
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Wash potatoes, peel & cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cook in boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well, place into a 2 quart casserole dish & mash.
- Add brown sugar, margarine & salt; continue mashing until no lumps remain.
- Mix in orange juice & pineapple & set aside.
- Place first 5 topping ingredients into a medium sized pot, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the margarine is melted.
- Add the marshmallows & toss to coat.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the marshmallow mixture & sprinkle with the pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350F oven until the potatoes are heated through & the marshmallows are melted, 30- 45 minutes.
- I sometimes leave it longer to make the topping almost become like candy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We had a small intimate Thanksgiving this year and each of us picked our favorite dish to be served. This pick was mine and I was so delighted with the outcome! I love sweet potato casserole but the topping mixture on this made it simply fabulous! I love the addition of the cinnamon and nutmeg to the candy-like marshmallows! Thank you so much Country Lady!
I tried this for Thanksgiving. It was awesome. The changes I made though was to exchange the pecans for oatmeal because we don't like nuts. Also I just melted the butter in the microwave then added the rest of the topping ingredients instead of over the stove. And I used canned sweet potatoes. This recipe gets better as leftovers!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In the words of Tracy Byrd, "I'm from the country & I like it that way"!! On May 1, 2008 my husband and I started a new adventure. We'll be living in a 37 foot RV while our new home is under construction. Its out in the country on a dead end dirt road with lots of trees. For the next 4 months or so, most meals will be cooked on the BBQ and life will be full of challenges! We love spending quality time with our friends & family - especially the grandkids!! The photo is 4 generations - my 84 year old mother, myself, my daughter & my youngest granddaughter - taken at the end of 2006. I've participated in many contests & events here on Zaar but this is the first banner that I've posted. My thanks to Dreamgoddess for hosting the contest & SusieD for the banner design! <img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg">