Sweet Potato Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
- Ready In:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (may be fresh or canned..if fresh needs to be cooked soft)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans..optional..or maybe reduced to 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Easy cream cheese icing
- 1 can ready to spread vanilla frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare 13x9 pan (I use pan spray).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all cake ingredients except nuts and coconut.
- Mix at low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- Fold in the nuts and coconut.
- Pour into pan and bake about 40 to 50 minutes or until cake test done.
- Let cake cool.
To make frosting:
- mix all ingredients well with electric mixer until the frosting is smooth.
- Frost cake.
- Sprinkle a bit of coconut or nuts on the frosting for garnish.
- This can be made a day ahead and kept tightly covered in refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious. Moist and dense, with the perfect amount of spices. I baked my own sweet potato, let it cool, and then scooped out the inside. The cake smelled heavenly and tasted even better. I used a different frosting recipe, however, because one of our dinner guests had raved about how wonderful caramel frosting goes with sweet potato cake or pie (they were right, BTW)