Sweet Potato and Onion Soup
This simple recipe uses the sweet potato with its distinctive flavour and colour as the base for a delicious soup with a hint of orange and coriander. Taken from "What's Cooking : Potatoes" The recipe calls for the soup to be pureed, and the addition of yoghurt. I don't do this as we prefer chunky soups, so in fact, I stop at the end of Step 4! I squeezed fresh oranges for the orange juice.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 300 ml unsweetened orange juice
- 225 ml plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- coriander sprig
- orange rind
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the diced sweet potatoes and carrot, sliced onions and garlic.
- Saute gently for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and orange juice, and bring them to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook the vegetables for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato and carrot cubes are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender in batches, and process for one minute until pureed. Return the puree to the rinsed out pan.
- Stir in the natural yoghurt and chopped coriander and season to taste. Serve the soup garnished with coriander sprigs and orange rind.
- This soup can be served chilled, if preferred. If chilling it, stir the yoghurt into the soup just before serving, and serve in chilled bowls.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Did this soup up the other day & although we do like pureed soups, this time around I left it chunky, though diced everything fairly small! A great combo of flavors, & a really nice change from the usual vegetable soups that we have! Also a keeper recipe, no less! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]Reply