Sweet Pork Stew
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- Season meat with S/P. Heat 3-4 quart saute pan over med-high heat. Add 1 tablespoons EVOO, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the meat and brown it deeply on all sides (7-10 minutes). Remove from heat and let sit on a plate.
- Add remaining oil, onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves. Saute stirring frequently, until veggies are just beginning to soften (about 4 minutes).
- Return meat to the pan, and add broth, potatoes, basil and bay leaf. Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low. Add wine. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
- Cook over low heat for 3 hours. Taste periodically, add S/P if needed. After removing heat, discard bay leaf, and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Although I did follow this recipe right on down, with just the 2 of us for this stew, I cut it in half! Absolutely delicious, & my other half thoroughly appreciated me making this & using something other than chicken! Hearty, filling! What could be better! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef]