Sweet Pickle Braised Pork Shoulder
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From A Southerly Course by Martha Foose Hall
- Ready In:
- 4 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork, picnic shoulder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Pat the pork dry and sprinkle with salt. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the pork and brown on all sides. Add the relish, barbecue sauce, and 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Braise the pork, turning over once, until the center is tender but not falling apart when pierced with a paring knife, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and tent with foil.
- Strain the braising liquid through a sieve into a bowl and discard the solids. Skim the fat that collects on the surface and cover the bowl to keep the liquid warm.
- Cut the meat across the grain into 6 slices. Heat the vegetable oil in a 12 inch heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sear the pork slices in batches, until browned on each side.
- Transfer the pork to plates and spoon some braising liquid over the top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION