Sweet Pepper Relish(Heinz)
From Heinz Successful Pickling Guide, this is a good recipe! If you want it a little hot, add in some hot peppers. This is a canning recipe but you could half the recipe and use it in the fridge. Makes great gifts too.If you half the recipe, you will have about 1 quart.
- Ready In:
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 6 medium red bell peppers (or mix and match as needed, yellow and orange peppers are good in here too)
- 3 medium onions
- 2 -4 hot chili peppers (jalapeno, habanero, serrano) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Wash, core, and seed peppers. In a food processor(or food grinder), grind peppers and onions.
- In a 6-8 quart saucepot, combine vegetables and remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil 25-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- At this point you may put in containers and refrigerate if not canning. You could probably freeze this, although I have not tried that.
- Immediately fill hot pint or half pint jars with mixture, leaving 1/2' headspace.
- Carefully run a nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles.
- Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place lids on jars and screw bands on firmly. Process pints or half pints in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
- Makes 3-4 pints or 6-8 half pints.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wonderful! I did reduce the onion, and varied the peppers a bit based on what was coming in from my local produce co-op. (Had quite a few cherry bomb peppers) Sliced my garlic instead of mincing, because I like to get a bite of garlic now and then! These turned out absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!1Reply