Sweet Orange Rye Bread
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon ground or crushed cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 large orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons saf instant yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups medium rye flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dough enhancer
- Combine orange juice, orange peel, buttermilk, molasses and margarine in microwave safe container and microwave until hot, approximately 2 minutes or until it reaches about 120 degrees. Margarine need not melt completely, and mixture will look curdled and pretty unappetizing. That's okay.
- In large mixer bowl, combine rye and all purpose flours, salt, seeds, dough enhancer, salt and yeast. Pour in hot liquid and combine. Knead by hand or by machine until smooth and elastic, approximately ten minutes.
- Grease and let rise in covered bowl until doubled in bulk, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. This dough is very dense and takes awhile to rise. Punch down and allow to rise a second time, 45 to 60 minutes. Shape into rolls, loaf pans, or free form loaves.
- Preheat oven to 375 and allow dough to rise 30 to 45 minutes, depending on size of loaf. Rolls will rise in 25-30 minutes, loaves will take longer.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes for rolls, or 45-50 minutes for loaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!