Sweet Onion, Apple and Bratwurst Chili
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I found this recipe in the local newspaper and it is to die for. It's one of my husband's most requested dishes. The woman who came up with it, Lorie Roach, won first place in a contest by making it. We completely understand why.
- Ready In:
- 6 slices pepper bacon
- 6 bratwursts, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 lb.)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium until crisp. Crumble and set aside.
- Add brats to pot and cook until browned and crispy around edges.
- Add onion, apples, peppers and garlic. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook until sugar is melted, stirring well.
- Add chickpeas, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with shredded cheese and bacon bits.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This chili is outstanding! It won 1st place in an extended family chili contest yesterday, against 4 other excellent chilies. I made a double batch and there were no leftovers. The only thing I did different was to grill the brats before cutting them up, adding them to the pot at the same time as the chickpeas.Reply