Sweet Milk Balls (Gulab Jamun)
photo by sharda
- Ready In:
Ingredients for the sweet balls
- 1 cup thickened milk (khoya)
- 1 cup panir (chena or spoiled milk with lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for sugar syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 -3 cardamom pods
- 2 cups canola oil
To make khoya:
- Take 2 and half cup of half-and-half in wok, and reduce it till the thickest consistency without turning brown.
To make chena:
- Take 2 and half cup of 1/2 and 1/2 milk and spoil it with lemon juice.
- Drain out the water and put the milk consistency in a cheese cloth and press it with some heavy weight so that all the remaining water comes out.
- It takes about 60 minutes.
- Now mix all the ingredients for the sweet balls.
- Make into small walnut size balls.
- On medium heat (NEVER ON HIGH HEAT) deep fry them like dark brown in colour.
- To make sugar syrup.
- Mix the water and sugar in a saucepan large enough to fit all the fried sweet balls.
- Boil the mix until the sugar dissolves and keep boiling for 5 minutes.
- Put the cardamom pods in the sugar syrup.
- Then slowly drop down the fried milk balls.
- Don't make mess by dropping much fried balls in smaller sauce pan.
- This is because after soaking the sugar syrup the milk balls expands.
- Boil it for 15 minutes on medium heat,all the milk balls will expand to double its size soaking the sugar syrup.
- Serve it when it comes to the room temperature.
- NOTE:-DO NOT USE WHOLE MILK OR SKIMMED MILK.
- ONLY USE Half-and-half MILK.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an Indian from a middle class family.I was the youngest in my family and never needed to cook a fabulous meal myself. But after marriage,things are not the same.My husband has a very refined taste buds and he is very fond of top class food.So these days I am just experimenting lots of new dishes and trying to please my husband..My mother-in-law is also a great cook,and though i didn't get a chance to live with her for long time,but I am sure I'll disappoint her a lot in this respect as not being that good at cooking ,is my weekest point. So when ever I cook some thing great ,which my husband loves,that is my best day.