Sweet Cream Cheese Fried Wontons
photo by masbeeme
- Ready In:
13 large wontons
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 13 egg roll wraps (or a package of wonton wrappers)
- 1 cup water
- oil (for frying)
- Heat oil in a small pot.
- Beat egg.
- Mix cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar with egg.
- Spoon mixture into center of wonton wrapper.
- Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water and fold into whatever shape you desire.
- Make sure to seal the edges so the cream cheese mixture doesn't escape during frying.
- Drop into hot oil and brown both sides.
- Serve with your favorite sauce or just eat 'em alone!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Definitely a keeper! Made two batches. Omitted the egg and substituted a teaspoon of oil for one batch and a pat of butter for the other. Was concerned that the filling would be too frosting like, so cut back the sugar on the butter batch to 1/3 Cup. Liked that one the best. The butter added just a little bite of salt to perk it up. Tried to bake vs. fry, but the fried ones were the favorite. Also, we cut about an inch off of two sides of the egg roll wrappers to make for less crust. Made for larger "won ton" wrappers, but worked well. Thanks so much for this.
DON'T ADD EGG TO THE CREAM CHEESE AND SUGAR! Thanks a lot... I just ruined a full tub of cream cheese. This is unusable as it is so liquidy. Now I have to buy an extra tub or two so that the filling is able to be spooned into wonton wrappers. I just looked at a few other recipes for the same dish and none of them suggested to throw in a beaten egg into the mix...
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a down home Mississippi girl. I love to cook, bake, and decorate cakes. I'm currently building a cookbook (or two) of yummy recipes. I teach 2nd grade.