Sweet and Spicy Shredded Pork
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 10mins
- 1 pork shoulder (5 to 7-pound)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium broth or 2 cups water
- 1 cup cola
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse and dry the pork shoulder.
- Mix together the brown sugar, garlic, cumin, salt, and cayenne. Rub the mixture generously and evenly over the pork shoulder.
- In a large roasting pan or Dutch oven, add the chopped onions, broth, and cola. Place the seasoned pork in the Dutch oven and roast for 4 to 6 hours, checking the pork every hour for tenderness and liquid level.
- When the pork is tender enough that it is falling apart, shred it with a fork. Reserve the juices and pour them over the shredded pork before serving.
- This recipe is so versatile for entertaining because it can be served in so many different ways. It's comfort food that is easy to serve and pleases the masses.
Shredded Pork Serving Variations:
Shredded Pork Salads (my favorite):
- Serve the shredded pork over toasted corn tortillas with romaine lettuce, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, pinto beans, lime wedges, and dressed with a creamy tomatillo dressing. Serve with a quick coleslaw on the side as well.
Shredded Pork Sandwiches:
- Serve the shredded pork on toasted potato buns.
Shredded Pork Tacos:
- Set up a taco bar featuring guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro, lime wedges, cotija cheese, etc. Works well for a casual party atmosphere.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!