Sweet and Spicy Garden Relish/ Chow-Chow
- Ready In:
- 1 habanero, minced
- 8 cups grated zucchini (or yellow squash)
- 3 large onions, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 large bell peppers (red and green)
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- Grate all the vegetables equalling 4 quarts, in a food processor then place in a large container.
- Add salt, cover with water and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- While the vegetables are soaking, in a large pot, add the sugar, vinegar and pickling spice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Drain and rinse the vegetables well squeezing out all liquid; add to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Pour the relish into hot, sterilized pint jars.
- Wipe rims, place lids and screw bands on fingertip-tight; process 15 minutes in a boiling bath.
- Remove to a protected surface to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation