Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce
This is a tomato-based sauce that can be used with chicken, meatballs, or any recipe that calls for sweet and sour sauce. Start with 3 tablespoons tomato paste and add in more to taste.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (add in more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits, canned in natural juices (reserve the leftover juice to make 2/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a small nonstick skillet over med-high heat, saute the onion and green peppers, until onion is translucent; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, corstarch, brown sugar and pineapple juice; bring to a boil, whisking to combine.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons tomato paste (add in more to taste).
- Add in diced pineapple tidbits and sauteed veggies, salt and hot pepper sauce; stir to mix well.
- Cook until thoroughly heated.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This had a nice flavor, but the sauce was too thin, so I had to add extra cornstartch, and cook it longer than than the directions said. I added a dash of siriacha, and tripled the recipe, as I was feeding a large group for a family party. Visually, it isn't all that appealing (kind of a pinkish color) but had a good flavor. As I was feeding a large crowd, we used a good-quality popcorn chicken that had been oven-baked for crispness.Reply
see 3 more