Sweet and Sour Pork/Chicken
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3⁄4 lb boneless pork, cut into 3/4 " pieces or 3/4 lb dark chicken meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- cooking oil, for deep frying
- 1⁄2 cup onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple chunk
- 1 small bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Combine 2 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs rice wine, and meat in a bowl. Stir to coat & let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix in a small bowl, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, water, 1 tbs cornstarch, 2 tsp soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Set aside.
- Remove meat from marinade. Dip meat in egg wash, drain excess, then dredge in cornstarch and shake off the excess.
- In a wok or deep fryer, heat oil to 360 degrees. Fry meat a few pieces at a time to not drop temperature, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat process for remaining meat pieces.
- Sautee onions and bell peppers until onions are translucent, add sauce, cook sauce over medium-high heat, stirring, until boils and thickens then stir in pineapples and meat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place meat on a bed of rice & top with sauce.
Join The Conversation
This recipe made it into book#234156! FANTASTIC!!!! This tastes exactly like the sweet and sour pork that I order at my favorite Chinese restaurant. I was surprised by how easy it was to prepare! I'm anxious to try this again using chicken. You've just got to try this recipe. It's absolutely delicious. :)