Sweet and Sour Pineapple Chicken
This is a recipe from Canadian Living. I like it because the sauce is not too gloppy and sugary and the chicken is browned very nicely, it tastes more authentically Chinese. You can also add a red pepper if you wish, or some grated ginger.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- In bowl, combine chicken, cornstarch, flour, salt, pepper and egg white, let stand 10 minutes.
- In wok or large skillet, heat oil to med high heat, stir fry chicken in batches, for 3 minutes or till golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Mix broth, ketchup, sherry, soy sauce and sugar, set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp oil from pan, add pepper and onion and stir fry about 3 minutes or till tender crisp.
- Add chicken, stock mixture and pineapple, stir fry 2 minutes or till mixture is thickened and chicken is coated.