Sweet and Sour Chicken: Pollo in Agrodolce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 1⁄2 - 4 lbs chicken
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery heart, chopped and some celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons currants, soaked and drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 10 large Sicilian olives, whole with pits (the green variety)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, lightly toasted
- fennel, fronds for garnish
- orange wedge, for garnish
- pepperoncini pepper, for garnish
- Remove all the skin and trim the fat from the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into 8 small pieces, using both the breast and the thighs, season with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil starts to shimmer, add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes on each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the onions and celery and let cook, stirring constantly, until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pot.
- Add the currants, sugar, vinegar, olives, capers and half the olives.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to high and cook, turning the chicken constantly, until the vinegar evaporates, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan and allow the chicken to cook through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve family style, garnished with the remaining almonds, fennel fronds, juice from orange wedges and pepperoncini.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!